Tiger Computing is an IT services company specialising exclusively in Linux, both in the cloud and on traditional hardware.
We have been building and supporting Linux solutions for businesses since 2002, and we count the NHS and leading bioscience companies among our clients. Our staff include Red Hat Certified Engineers and Debian Developers, and we’re certified under ISO27001, the Information Security standard.
We have a vacancy for an enthusiastic Junior Linux Support Consultant to join our team.
This role is remote-based with occasional travel to clients and for company meetings, training and events.
Junior Linux Support Consultant
|Reports to||Operations Manager|
|Hours||37.5 hours per week, hours of work by agreement. 20 days annual leave plus statutory holidays, rising to 25 days|
|Location||Home based with on-site visits as required|
|Closing date for applications||31 May 2022|
You’ll be working with Linux all day, every day. Key tasks include:
- Keeping Linux systems secure, resilient and available
- Responding to monitoring alerts, analysing issues and taking appropriate action
- Responding to queries from clients and giving advice
- Assisting other support consultants
Our clients are predominantly in the high-tech engineering, bio-technology and web services industries and use a wide variety of technologies including:
- Web technologies: Apache, Nginx, MySQL, PostgreSQL, PHP and Python
- Networking: static and dynamic routing protocols, firewalls
- Containers and infrastructure-as-code: Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD
- Cloud services: Amazon Web Services, Azure
- High-availability: file system replication, clusters
- Remote access: VPNs, virtual desktops, hybrid cloud
We support Red Hat Enterprise Linux family (RHEL, CentOS, AlmaLinux, Rocky), Debian Linux and Ubuntu distributions.
“Working at Tiger Computing is fantastic, I can wear all the hats and try a little bit of everything. Having the opportunity to work on such a wide variety of systems keeps every day interesting and I’m always learning.”
You are passionate about Linux, and relish the opportunity to learn about designing, building and supporting Linux systems to a professional standard. You’re capable of working on your own initiative, but can also recognise when you need help and you’re not afraid to ask for it. You’re willing to work as part of a team, tackling issues together and supporting each other.
Your experience with Linux may be in the workplace or on your own personal systems.
- Some experience with at least one of the Linux distributions we support
- Some understanding of networking, routing, DNS and diagnosing network issues
- The ability to tackle unfamiliar problems and get up to speed quickly
- Good written and spoken English
- The ability to write and maintain clear technical documentation
- A desire to uncover the real cause of technical issues
- The drive to satisfy your own curiosity and learn from experience
Ideally you also have:
- The ability to speak, write and present to clients on an appropriate technical level for the audience
- Some experience of scripting in Python
- Experience with Kubernetes, Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure
- One of more of Red Hat Certified System Administrator/Engineer/Architect, Debian/Ubuntu Contributor, Certified Kubernetes Administrator
- Full UK driving licence
The successful candidate will be required to undergo BS7858 background checks. You must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom.
To apply, please visit our Indeed site. You’ll need to upload your CV and a covering letter explaining why you’re an ideal fit for this role via Indeed. Candidates will not be paper-sifted and called forward for video interviews until the vacancy closes. Tiger Computing reserves the right to close this vacancy before the closing date.